Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Savory Cheddar Chive Cornmeal Waffles

We like waffles and I'm ashamed to say that we've been eating a popular freezer brand occasionally.  It seems a shame to use our homemade maple syrup on commercially made waffles.  Recently, a fellow theater mom told me that I just have to "ask Santa" for a Belgian waffle maker for Christmas because they are so much better.  I tossed the idea around and looked at a few different styles in the store and sort of put the idea on the back burner.  I'd never tasted homemade waffles but I knew that they could be a lot more healthy... I was still dragging my feet.  Indecisiveness is one of my many shortcomings.
Then we stayed with a friend who, completely unaware of my waffle conundrum, served homemade waffles and I was sold!  We shopped around until we found one that makes 4 square waffles, just right for packing in my husbands lunch box.  I'd like to share a recipe from the book that came with it.


Savory Cheddar Chive Cornmeal Waffles
As usual, we're substituting as many organic, non-GMO, unrefined ingredients as possible.

Makes 20 waffles
3 3/4 cups flour
3 cups cornmeal
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp fresh chopped chives
5 1/4 cups reduced fat milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
6 lightly beaten eggs
1/2 tsp hot sauce

Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
Add cheese and chives.
Add milk, oil, eggs and hot sauce; Mix well.
Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
Heat waffle maker and bake waffles.
Serve warm with your favorite chili, salsa or eggs and bacon for brunch or supper!
We topped them with chili, a dollop of sour cream!

As a side note...with my waffle maker baking 4 square waffles that are a little smaller than traditional Belgian style, I can make about 24 waffles with this recipe so you might want to cut it in half or plan to freeze the extras.

Now, let's see...I should make a new batch of homemade biscuit mix...I have wild Maine blackberries in the freezer...some gourmet syrups I've been saving...there's cream to whip...more homemade maple syrup in the cellar...some salsa in the cupboard...the possibilities are nearly endless!  I'll be dreaming of waffles instead of sugarplums this year!  What a great early Christmas present...in true Alvin style...From me; To me!

I've posted this recipe on at
Pennywise Platter Thursday
Friday Potluck
Alphabe-Thursdays


H‘nSHungerandThirst

18 comments:

  1. These waffles sound so awesome...such a perfect meal! Thank you for sharing them w/ the hearth and soul hop this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Waffles look delicious. I want to try your recipe. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ladies! I hope you enjoy them. Keep in mind that it makes 20-24 waffles. Loads for the freezer if you have a small family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheddar Cheese, cornbread, and chives all together is just about my favorite combination of flavors! This recipe makes enough for me for a year at least lol but I will try to cut it down to 1/3 or 1/4 of it. Visiting from Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm starving over here and these sound so satisfying...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DO love waffles! These sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fabulous and like there is more fabulocity in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These really do sound awesome. I am not fond of syrupy waffles and pancakes, but these waffles I would adore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought of a savory waffle. This looks superb. I like the idea of chili on top of this flavor, too!

    I may give this a go when it cools off a bit here.

    Waffles and 115 degree temps just don't go together to me!

    Thanks for a super link.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really sound wonderful! I would lov to use the waffles in place of sandwich bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a cool weather favorite here, too. But with overnight lows reaching the 40's last week, I'm beginning to switch into autumn mode!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never thought of a savoury waffle and we've been making waffles forever. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a Belgian waffle iron that I bought 30 plus years ago! Had to replace the electrical cord but works like a charm. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I have a plain recipe I use a lot. The secret to the recipe is using beaten egg whites to make those waffles extra fluffy! Yummy! Thanks for sharing today. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never had savory waffle but they sound delicious. Great s word

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, I'm not a big waffle fan, but I'm betting that this recipe is worth dusting off my waffle maker for!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks yummy, and easy to whip up. thanks for the recipe.
    Double link with the conversations every Thursday and Post your questions on Thursday Two Questions Meme

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting The Journal! I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts from the Past 30 Days

The Woodwife's Shop

Preparing small batch natural, additive free products for beauty, health and home right here in our kitchen since 1991 from herbs grown organically in our garden, wild crafted in nearby meadows and woodlands or purchased from reputable, like-minded companies. Dried everlasting wreaths, arrangements and potpourri. Herbal salves, tinctures, soaps, teas and more.